Policy & Advocacy
With the goals of addressing New England’s energy cost crisis and bringing cleaner energy to the region, CLEC acts as the voice of its membership, influencing the energy policy agenda, keeping our members informed of the latest energy policy developments, and mobilizing our membership to advocate for beneficial policies and market reforms. Specifically, CLEC works with our members and other energy stakeholders to:
• Advocate for public policy solutions that will lower energy costs and emissions for New England businesses and families
• Mobilize consumers, large and small, to support these cleaner, cost-effective solutions
• Engage with industry leaders, elected officials, and policy makers to influence energy policy regulations, and markets
• Host and speak at public events in New England focusing on energy policy and issues
• Provide in-depth analysis of emerging energy policy research and studies
Click below to learn more about CLEC's Policy & Advocacy efforts.
During the winter of 2013-2014, 5.2 million families in the Northeast used oil to heat their homes, each having to overpay for heating costs by more than $1,300 while producing thousands of pounds of unnecessary carbon emissions.
If all 5.2 million households in the Northeast switched from heating oil to clean and affordable natural gas it would eliminate 64 billion pounds of carbon emissions.
The Northeast continues to consume 81 percent of all home heating oil used in the United States and families continue to overpay for heating costs.